Flap discs are versatile grinding and finishing tools having fNorton main components: abrasive flaps, flap density (how the flaps are stacked), backing plate (flat or conical shape), backing plate material (fiberglass/resin, plastic, aluminum). All flap discs have flaps that are overlapped and glued to the backing plate. The flaps wear during use exposing new abrasive grain. The different variations of the components above provide a variety of choices ranging from heavy stock removal to blending to finishing. Flap discs are designed for portable grinder applications and can be the preferred choice over depressed center wheels or fiber disc.
- Zirconia alumina abrasive for aggressive cut and long life with 2X-3X total performance over aluminum oxide products
- Type 27 have a flatter angle and are best used on flat surfaces for blending and smooth finishing
- Fiberglass/resin backing plates are the most popular due to high strength, light weight and ability to absorb vibration
- Extra coarse/36 grit for stock removal, beveling and edge chamfering
- Heavy polyester back cloth for durability and stock removal
- Restoring cutting edge on straight-edged tools such as knives, chisels, plane blades, or other tools