Flap discs are versatile grinding and finishing tools having fNorton main components: abrasive flaps, flap density (how the flaps are stacked), backing plate (flat or conical shape), backing plate material (fiberglass/resin, plastic, aluminum). All flap discs have flaps that are overlapped and glued to the backing plate. The flaps wear during use exposing new abrasive grain. The different variations of the components above provide a variety of choices ranging from heavy stock removal to blending to finishing. Flap discs are designed for portable grinder applications and can be the preferred choice over depressed center wheels or fiber disc.
- Zirconia alumina abrasive for aggressive cut and long life with 2X-3X total performance over aluminum oxide products
- Type 27 have a flatter angle and are best used on flat surfaces for blending and smooth finishing
- Fiberglass/resin backing plates are the most popular due to high strength, light weight and ability to absorb vibration
- Coarse/40 grit for stock removal, beveling and edge chamfering
- Poly/cotton backing combination for good cut rate and finishing
- Flap discs are versatile grinding and finishing tools, consisting of 3 main components; a backing plate, adhesive and abrasive cloth flaps
- Flap Discs are designed for right angle grinder applications ranging from heavy stock removal to surface blending