Flap discs are versatile grinding and finishing tools having fNorton main components: abrasive flaps, flap density (how the flaps are stacked), backing plate (flat or conical shape), backing plate material (fiberglass/resin, plastic, aluminum). All flap discs have flaps that are overlapped and glued to the backing plate. The flaps wear during use exposing new abrasive grain. The different variations of the components above provide a variety of choices ranging from heavy stock removal to blending to finishing. Flap discs are designed for portable grinder applications and can be the preferred choice over depressed center wheels or fiber disc.
- Blend of ceramic alumina and aluminum oxide provides higher performance than aluminum oxide while retaining an economical price
- Type 27 have a flatter angle and are best used on flat surfaces for blending and smooth finishing
- Plastic backing plates add some conformability and are trimmable
- Coarse/40 grit for stock removal, beveling and edge chamfering
- Poly/cotton backing combination for good cut rate and finishing
- Good choice for soft metals to hard to grind stainless and carbon steel